Hurt the top of foot. It is swollen and painful. Should see a doctor immediately?

I fell down the stairs and hurt the top of my foot. Its slightly swollen on top and can't put much pressure on it to walk. Should i see a doctor or wait for tomorrow and ice it today?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You can wait for today and do the local icing every three hours.
You may also take some anti inflammatory drug to releve the pain.
If you feel that your swelling or pain has incresed even after icing and rest ,then you must consult your doctor and get an x-ray done to rule out any fracture.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Hurt the top of foot. It is swollen and painful. Should see a doctor immediately? 13 hours later
Thank you. As of today, it feels better. It is slightly swollen and black and blue and I can put pressure on it now. Should I still see a doctor or is it just a bruise?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
I think you should be alright now since the symptoms have improved.
Probably the need to consult the doctor should not arise now.