Hurt on head, dull ache on head. Does it require medical attention?

I hit the side of my head about 36 hours ago with a large heavy bag weighing about 23kg (was swinging the bag upwards to put on a shelf - contained snowboard and ski equipment). When it happened I felt "stunned" but no bump or bruising to my head, no dizziness or nausea. Kind of saw stars for a second though. Last night when sleeping had dull ache inside my head in the same are if laying on that side of my head - relieved when changing to the other side but dull ache still there upon waking. Should I have this investigated?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

As there is no history of vomiting or loss of consciousness after head injury i don't think it is serious. It is common to be stunned after something like that.

I advice you to ask someone to stay with you for the first 48 hours after the injury. Have plenty of rest and avoid stressful situations, do not drink alcohol, do not take sleeping pills, sedatives or tranquilizer. Take painkillers, such as paracetamol, if you have a headache.

Dull ache on that side following injury will always be there for about 2 days. I advice you to see physician if the pain increases and in case of any vomiting. If you are anxious it is better to get your self examined.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer