Hurt my upper thigh, pain spreading to knee, becomes unbearable while sleeping, bruising. Causes for radiating pain?

I fell into a bush and hurt my upper thigh and now the pain is spreading to my knee and when I sleep the pain becomes unbearable. There is bruising also where I did not hit it.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later

I can help you better if you could get back with the following details.

1. Is there a wound? If it is there, how big is it? Where exactly it is located? Is there any discharge from it?
2. When did you fall?
3. Did you anytime run fever after the fall?

The pain following a fall can be there upto 2 to 4 weeks even if it is a minor fall. It is because the sensitive nerve endings would have got exposed after the bruise.

You can use the following points for a faster healing.
1. Expose the bruised area to air. Do not wear tight clothing around it.
2. As far as possible, restrict the movement of the paining knee. Adequate rest will augment the healing process.
3. If there is a big wound, you will have to get it dressed by a nurse. If you are doing it at home, make sure the wound is washed well, an antiseptic is applied well over it and gauze pieces are sterile.
4. XXXXXXX your local physician for a quick examination to rule out menisceal tear which is common with falls.
5. Watch out for fever, worsening of pain, change of color of the wound.
6. Aceclofenac is a good tablet for pain. Please ask your doctor to prescribe painkillers to relieve pain.

I hope, I have answered your query, please get back to me with the questions I have posed.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Hurt my upper thigh, pain spreading to knee, becomes unbearable while sleeping, bruising. Causes for radiating pain? 2 hours later
The accident happened about 11 days ago. There is no open wounds. And no fever. Do u know why the pain would get worse while I sleep? And also why the pain is spreading from my upper thigh down to my knee 11 days later. It's a sharp aching pain, that wasn't there before.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

Such type of pain is seen in injury to the muscle.

The muscle is more relaxed, loses its tone when you are sleeping so tends to pain more.
You are also complaining of it radiating to your knees so it means that along with the muscle the tendons are also involved so the inflammation process which initially started in muscle has spread to your tendon. It is quite common in such cases.

Also it could be that you have not given ample rest to that limb.

I advise you to XXXXXXX an orthopedician for a quick examination and prescription of anti inflammatory drugs and also pain killer.

Also please follow the 6 points I had jotted down for you in my earlier reply.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

I hope I have answered your query. Please press the accept button if you have no further queries.