Hurt lower back, hip. Bruise, swelling, itching in the affected area. Can there be a fracture?

Question
SIR,I AM 65 14 DAYS AGO i FELL,NO MEMORY OF FALL,CAME TO ON FLOOR,ANYWAY,i HURT MY LOWER BACK,LEFT SIDE OF HIP AND ACCORDING TO SKELETAL ANTOMY I LOOKED UP,MY LEFT AREA OF ILLIAC IS WHERE IT HURTS THE MOST,THERE IS SOME BRUISING AND A LITTLE SWELLING,WHEN I STAND AND WALK NOW,MY LEFT LEG IS GETTING WEAK AND IT MAKES THE PAIN WORSE,i DID NOT GO TO HOSPITAL,RETIRED NURSE,STUBBORN CRATURE,THOUGHT IT WOULD GET BETTER,ANYWAY,THIS AREA WITH THE MOST PAIN IS ITCHING LIKE CRAZY,IS ITCH ALSO A SIGN OF FRACTURE,FRACTURE HEALING AS WHEN A SORE HEALS IT ITCHES////IF i PERSIST IN TRYING TO HEAL MYSELF,IF THESE AREAS ARE FRACTURED,HOW LONG BEFORE i FEEL IMPROVEMENT?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Hi

Since you got hurt 14 days ago and you are still having symptoms, it is possible that you sustained a fracture of the hipbones. Your age predisposes you to such fractures. It may be accompanied by itching due to the swelling present. In such a scenario, it is suggested that you go to the nearest urgent care center for further evaluation. Fractures usually take a long time to recover. With appropriate treatment, it may take around 6 weeks. Without treatment, there can be increased possibility of complications like non-healing of fracture, which may last for a longer time.

Another possibility can be a contusion over your iliac rim following a direct trauma. It is called as hip-pointer. It is usually seen in athletes. The usual symptom is sharp pain in the area. Turning your upper abdomen to the other side exacerbates the pain. Treatment consists of ice, compression, pain control, and placing affected leg in maximum stretch. Hip pointers usually recover in 1-3 weeks.

Ossificans myositis is another possibility.

I will recommend that you visit an urgent care center for appropriate investigations and treatment.

Dr Vaishalee Punj