Hurt knee, having swelling and bruising. Given brace wrapping and ice pack. Cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Good afternoon, approx. six weeks ago I took a hard fall to my left knee while playing basketball. Initially there was swelling and bruising and the swelling seemed to dissipate quickly. The area below the knee mainly continues to swell occasionally and there seems to be a slight bulge below the knee at the time. There is still bruising and two red markings on the knee that were there prior to the injury. I usually wrap the area in a brace and then ice the swelling when needed. Ive read numerous articles and some indicate six to twelve weeks for certain injuries to heal. Any insight or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I've held off going to a Dr. But I'm curious if this will heal on its own.
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

After going through your description, I am of the opinion that you sustained a soft tissue contusion and a possible HEMATOMA. This should usually resolve spontaneously within 3 - 6 weeks with Rest, Ice packing , Compression stocking and Limb elevation.

If there is any injury to the Intraarticular structures ( tissues within the joint ), then one may experience recurrent episodes of pain, swelling, ocassional stiffness,locking episodes etc. To rule out any soft tissue injury inside the knee joint, an MRI scan is mandatory.

Few injuries involving the ligaments and tendons in and around the knee joint might take a longer time a longer time to heal (8-10 weeks).

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any further clarification.