Hurt knee. Suffer pain. Ordered MRI. What to do?

Sure. I hit my knee on a table 2 months ago and it has hurt ever since. I had a dr look at it once and he said he thought it was the cartilage but should get better, He said if it didn't come back. Well he left the area which I didn't know. I called my family doctor and he won't order a mri, he says a new specialist (bone) I go to at the end of the month order the test..I am in misery. I went to the local er and the er doc says yes there is a problem there but they can't order the mri. because of my insurance. So right now I can barely limp my knee is killing me and I can't even work . And this will continue for 2 weeks what am I to do? I have RA also
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

I am sorry about the pain that you are currently suffering and the misery you are going through due to different doctor's opinion.

Let me help you out today.

You have hurt your knees 2 months ago. Whether there is a cartilage damage or not, this can be determined only by means of an MRI.

Your current doctors are not ordering one due to insurance problem. You are in pain and that hurts me much when none of the doctors there are unable to help you.

I would suggest you this.

- Let the MRI wait for another 2 weeks. It is not an emergency.

- You must do something about the pain. Did you take any strong painkillers. You could ask your doctors to prescribe good ones like Tramadol that could take care of the pain. At least, purchase Motrin or Panadol that is available over the counter and take it on a SOS (as and when required for pain) basis.

- The pre-existing RA would be causing you more pain. I hope the RA is managed well and is in remission now.

- Also, try local analgesics gels that could be applied on your knee.

- Give cold compresses locally twice daily for the inflammation to reduce all by itself.

-Lastly, even if the MRI is done and if it turns out to be normal, the management of your lesion would be conservative.

You must have done some of the measures already, let me know if you have missed something.

I wish you recover quickly from your pain and be able to lead a normal life again.

Take care!
Follow-up: Hurt knee. Suffer pain. Ordered MRI. What to do? 10 minutes later
I am having to take prednisone to walk on it I have pain meds that don't completely take the pain away. With each day it gets worse. I seriously feel I am getting shitty healthcare and I buy my own ins for 600 a month. I take Mobic, ra injectable med, muscle relaxers. I need attention but get ignored what about my job???

If I were a man I'd be taken care of..
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

I am glad that you are on the right medications. Prednisone works for RA well. Let me tell you the pain needs to be managed. It cannot be cured cent person.

I understand it goes worse by the day. Please do little rehabilitative physiotherapy as well to keep the pain at bay.

I empathize with you. However, self-pity is not a good sign. You must learn to manage the pain. You probably need to attend a pain management clinic, take a few lessons on pain management, and very soon, you must feel pain-free.

Please continue to take all your current medications.

Take care!
Follow-up: Hurt knee. Suffer pain. Ordered MRI. What to do? 2 hours later
before therapy I need to know the injury. the is a INJURY a serious injury , I am not self pitying I need medical attention............Your advice is crap and a waste of money. I will never use this site and think you are a fraud.... the med Prednisone is NOT a good med to contually take..its a steroid and it raises my blood sugars I very seldom have to take it prior to my knee injury. so your advice is just sit on my butt, I can't walk, loose my job, maybe cause further injury to my knee and quit self pitying??????What advice Gooodbye
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 hours later

The injury could be a meniscal tear either medical or lateral meniscus, or it could be ligament tear either anterior cruciate ligament (acl) or posterior cruciate ligament (pcl).

If it is confirmed on MRI, then it could be surgically repaired. It is a serious injury.

I am sorry if my advice does not benefit you. I tried to help you.

Of course, prednisone raises your blood sugars. However, it is one of the first line drugs for management of RA even now.

Take care!