Ask a Dentist   »  

Hurt in the bottom of nose, frenum behind upper lip torn, pain in columella. Taking pain relievers. Is this normal with nose trauma?

General Surgeon
Hi- i was hit hard in the bottom portion of my nose over the weekend and also in the area between my top lip and bottom of nose. The frenum behind my upper lip is torn and i have a cut there at the very top of my inside to lip.. My nose does not appear to be broken, it not even swollen much. Most pain is in the area towards the back of my columella. if i touch the columella or attempt to move it or my septum it hurts bad. UntI am ok with icing and taking pain relievers. I think it will heal well on it own. The worst problem is once a while i get excruciating pain in my bottom left and top left teeth. Pain relievers help little with this. Is this something that typically occurs with nose trauma? Will this tooth nerve pain go away as i heal. Any tips?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such trauma can always cause a fracture. Even if the symptoms does not indicate it. Nose septum or nasal bones are very thin bones and can be easily become fractured. Some of such fractures demand reposition, otherwise speaking or breathing problem can appear as well as it can look uneven.
Teeth pain after the trauma should be always checked with tooth fracture or some kind of dislocation. Especially if the teeth are moving.
Such teeth trauma can heal by itself, however it is also possible that without medical attention, this teeth will come out.
That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor, have nose X-ray and teeth x-ray.
Dentist should also take a look on this teeth and compare it with an X-ray.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Hurt in the bottom of nose, frenum behind upper lip torn, pain in columella. Taking pain relievers. Is this normal with nose trauma? 10 minutes later
I was not hit in the mouth or teeth and the teeth are fine. I read that the philtrum area (part of where i was hit) contains nerves that go to the teeth and that this can happened with injuries like this. I was looking to see if a) his is true and b) is it typically temporary during the healing process. My nose is already feeling somewhat better but he philtrum and right at the point of where the bottom edge of the septum meets th face is still sensitive to the touch.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later
If you make an X-ray of the area where the nose meets the mouth(philtrum) you will see that this is the place where the roots of upper teeth begins. It is invisible, however is quite long part of teeth. This part could be injured.
Nerves to the upper teeth are in this area indeed, however its compression or trauma would rather cause numbness, lack of sensing, and constant mild pain.
Moreover, nerves to lower teeth are not in the trauma localisation.

Lower teeth are nerved with Mandibular nerve which does come from the area below the ears downward and to the front along to the jaw. So it is not possible for nose trauma to cause lower teeth pain due to nerve irritation.

So an X-ray seems advisable.
Hope this will help.