Hurt head and back. How long will it take for the headaches to clear?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was thrown from my horse on Monday and landed on my back and then head, I was wearing a back protector and regulation safety helmet, I did not lose consciousness and saw a doctor, who gave me the all clear. However I wondered how long it will take for the headaches to clear, they are better and only occur if I get up suddenly or bend over
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you feel nauseous after the fall ?

Any loss of memory, blurring of vision, or giddiness ?

According to your clinical history, it appears you might have had a mild concussion. This should pass away in a couple of weeks if you are careful.

Avoid driving. Take someone's help if you have difficulty in keeping balance while walking. Avoid sudden movements to head and neck as they can aggravate headache. Avoid bending down suddenly but do it very gradually or rather lift your lower body to upper level if possible.

You can take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol tablets 500mg twice a day for a week after a meal, under medical supervision. This should relieve your headaches.

Eat a balanced diet. Keep well hydrated. Avoid junk food, caffeine, smoking and alcohol.

Do follow up with your Doctor as advised at the right time. If the headaches get worse, you may require a CT scan to look for internal bleeding.

Your headaches should clear in a week or two at the most if you take good care of yourself. Kindly try your best to prevent such accidents from happening again. Be careful all the time.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.