Hurt head. Headache, stiff neck, numbness in face, foggy thinking. Should I seek medical help?

Last Sunday I got into a argument with a person and was thrown on the ground very hard. I hit my head on the concrete and now have had a headache and stiff neck for the last 5 days. I also am experiencing numbness on my left side of my face. I still feel a little bit dazed but am up and moving.I have hard a few business conversations and notice that when I try and think I am having a hard time processing. And while trying to think my head begins to hurt worse on the top/left side around where I hit it but on the inside... I know I hit hard becasue I still have bruises on my arm from his hand force and on my leg and shoulder from where I hit the ground. Should I seek medical attention or will this subside over time?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different criteria which are used to determine if a person needs a CT scan following head injury.
One set of criteria states that a CT should be done if there is anyone of the following: loss of memory, confusion or a glasgow coma scale of 13 to 15 with loss of consciousness. The Glasgow coma scale is used to assess the level of consciousness in a person, it checks whether the person moves spontaneously, talks spontaneously and eye movement.
In severe head injury persons may not be able to do these things.

The other criteria states that the CT should be done if there are any of the following: headache, vomiting, age over 60, loss of memory, drug or alcohol intoxication, seizures and visible trauma above the clavicle.

In your case you are experiencing mild confusion (hard time with conversations, hard time processing) and headache.
This fulfils the criteria for CT using any of the above.

Therefore it would be best if you are evaluated as soon as possible, most CT are negative for any serious problems but those who fit the criteria should have one done just to make sure there are no complications present.

You will likely be ok, but you need to be assessed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Hurt head. Headache, stiff neck, numbness in face, foggy thinking. Should I seek medical help? 3 hours later
I was drinking heavily when it happened. And at the moment the whole left side of my face feels as if its being pulled downward. I went to the chiropractor and he didnt touch my neck but cracked my back. I now have more pain in my head,face,neck then I did before all on the left side. Should I go to the ER? Or is it safe to wait til Monday? The closest ER with a CT is an hour away but I will go if thought needed right away
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
I think that it would be best to go to the er because the fact that you had alcohol at the time fulfills another of the criteria for a CT scan.

Please feel free to ask any other questions