Hurt hand wrist after lifting heavy weight. Prescribed multivitamins and calcium tablets. Undergone physiotherapy. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
while lifting weight in Gym i happen to hurt my right hand wrist. Initially i consulted an orthopedic doctor who gave me some multivitamins and calcium tablets and asked me to consult a physiotherapist for Ultra sound treatment.
I have undergone a 7 day treatment of ultra sound till last week.
The problem still persists. this accident took place 6 months ago. Though according to physiotherapist the problem is limited to very small area in the wrist, i am not able to keep my hand firmly in the ground or bed. Normally i do not feel any pain while driving my bike or doing my work but there is some pain when i write something or put my hand down and give pressure on it.

pls suggest necessary cure or remedy.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 18 hours later
Thanks for using XXXXXXX for your health query.

It seems you have injured one of the ligaments of your wrist. Your physician has tried to treat you with physiotherapy but it has been inadequate. You have not mentioned any investigations that have been performed, so I presume that nothing has been advised. To come to a diagnosis I suggest you get a plane xray of your wrist, followed by an mri if required.

This will give us a fair idea of what we are dealing with. Usually these conditions respond well to rest, medication and immobilization. Rest in its full glory would mean complete activity restrictions including the activities that aggravates the condition like driving writing and lifting weights etc. Medications should include anti-inflammatory drugs and not nutrition supplements. Immobilization is mainly with a brace used for night splinting, and day splinting if symptoms persist.

This will help the injured structure to heal and give you symptomatic relief. I hope this answer was informative, For any further queries I am available for follow up.