Hurt by bus, X-ray showed convexity of lumbar spine, interdiscal radiolucency, degeneration of apophyseal joint. What is going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was rear ended by a school bus in January 2012. I have been seeing a chiropractor, massage therapist as well as my GP. Tomorrow I will have an MRI on my lumbar spine. Apparantly the report from my xrays did not come back as they had hoped. I have a copy of the report and do not understand any of it. This is an overview of what the report says : . A left convexity of the lumbar spine is noted. Minute anterolateral osteophytic formation, lumbar spine. Interdiscal radiolucency is seen withint the anterior aspect of L2 and L3 discs. Degeneration of the apophyseal joint is present at the lumbar spine charactarized by space narrowing, subchondral sclerosis and osteophytes. Asymmetrical facet orientation and configuration at the L4/L5 , L5/S1. The S1 joint margins are poorly visualized. It is not clear to the extent of technical factors and/or bowel overlie may be the culprit. At best that can be determined no evidence of discrete syndesmophytic formation is apparent.
Spinal Biomechanical alterations noted.
S1 joint poorly demostrated. Standard S1 study may be more informative.
Facet tropism L4/L5, L5/S1
Facet arthrosis at lumbar spine
Vacuum cleft lucency within anterior aspect of the L2 and L3 discs. May represent annular derangement. Clinical correlation is recommended.
Spondylosis lumbar spine.
Can someone please help me understand what is going on...

Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The X-ray findings of your lumbar spine are suggestive of degenerative changes in the lumbar spine with a mild curvature problem- may be positional. There is no finding suggestive of any spinal injury noted.
The back pain that you are having is likely to be related to myofascial pain syndrome or due to spinal spondylottic changes. An MRI will help in determining any nerve root compression. All these changes are clinically significant only if there are any clinical symptoms present.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.