Hurt arm, swollen, hanging skin at the site, slight itch. Had angioedema in genitals. Taking benicar. Could it be angioedema?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I remember hitting the back of my arm on the pointed edge of a box about 4 days ago. It caused a sharp pain but I did not notice anything after that. I now have swelling in the tricep but it is soft not hard there is no discoloration just a slight scratch XXXXXXX where I guess I hit the box. The appearance of the swollen area is as the loose skin of an elderly or obese person that hangs down a bit. This is not how my arm is and I only noticed this when drying off after a shower this afternoon-4 days after the event. I have to admit being a bit nervous and probably overly vigilant to any swelling in my body as I had angioedema in the genitals from the ACE Inhibitor Lisinopril in January. I no longer take that antihypertensive but I do take Benicar, an ARB. The area has a slight itch but does not look like angioedema with redness, etc. In fact the only noticeable characteristic is the swelling with a slight pain on touching on the place where I hit the box point.The area is not hot or warm and I am not bothered by any feelings of irritation. Is is possible to tell from this description if the swelling is from the impact of hitting the box or could it be a systemic problem that may be some form of angioedema either from medication or something else? I don't want to call myself a hypochondriac but I do tend now to worry about areas of swelling after this experience back in January.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
From your description the swelling on your arm seems to be due to a disorder like angioedema.
The swelling and the pain could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding). Rest assured it will subside in next 2-3 weeks. But if you have persistent pain, please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with CT scan.

Allow it to rest and avoid working with the hand. Use anti inflammatory medications prescribed by your physician for few days. Try not to get it in extreme positions unless required. Use of crepe bandage can prove beneficial. Occasional hot fomentation is recommended.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.