Hurt arm during fall, cannot lift without pain, can move fingers, no pain in wrist and lower arm. Extent of injury?

My mother fell and hurt her arm. She cannot lift it without pain. She can move her fingers, and the bones around the wrist and lower arm do not hurt. She is holding her upper arm and feels the pain there. She is ninety. What is the extent of the injury
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 hours later

As she is 90 years old, the bones are mostly fragile and can break easily.

From the details that you have shared it seems that she might have got some injury in her shoulder, upper arm or elbow.

Normally after this type of injury shoulder bears the brunt of attack and arm bone humerus or collar bone sustains injury.

There are definite chances of fracture. I think it is advisable that you take her to orthopedic surgeon/Er for examination.

The doctor after examination will normally asked for an x XXXXXXX This will clear the diagnosis and further treatment can be planned after the report.

I think medical examination is required.

I hope this answers your query.

Wishing her good health.