Hurt ankle. No bruise, having small bump. Should I be worried?

I hit my XXXXXXX on the hard surface of my platform bed about about four inches above my ankle slightly to the side of the XXXXXXX bone. No evidence of a bruise but I have a small bump that was pretty tender at first but is less so after about a week. I've had a couple similar very small painless bumps on my other leg along the XXXXXXX bone for years that haven't changed. I'm thin - 94 lbs so there isn't much cushion e.g fat on or around my XXXXXXX Should I be worried about this?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

After an injury to any part of the body there is an inflammatory response.
Part of the inflammatory response involves the release of certain chemicals.

These chemicals cause initial swelling and eventual fibrosis (the formation of scar tissue).
During fibrosis the area can become firm or hard , it also becomes non tender.

It is likely that the bump that you are seeing is as a result of scar tissue formation.
The scar tissue or fibrotic area can continue to remodel itself and become smaller but this can take a few weeks in some cases. In some persons , it can actually take a few months for the area to return to normal.

Cysts or sacs that collect fluid can also form as a result of trauma. They are firm, round and usually not tender. They tend to resolve on their own.

Normally observation is the only suggested treatment unless it is bothersome to you. If this is the case then the use of ibuprofen, cataflam, aspirin, mobic or celebrex.
All of these are taken on a full stomach.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions