Hungry, thirsty always, weight gain, wants to do oral glucose tolerance, HBA1c, thyroid function test, history of hypoglycemia and diabetes. Treatment ?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX I have recently been feeling light headed, confused, hungry, tired, and thirsty (more than usual) I have had some issues when I was younger (approx 12) with fainting spells if i didn't eat.

My mother has Hypoglycemia and a lot of my family has diabetes. I decided to buy a blood glucose monitor (I'm aware they aren't extremely accurate but i wanted to keep an eye on things)
I tried checking it first thing in the morning (fasting for 10 hours) and it was 70. I know this is within normal range but since i started taking my blood sugar, it hasn't gone over 110.
I eat plenty- at least 3 meals a day and snacks as well. I drink a lot of water and juice.
I have had several times when it felt like it was low while i was driving and was uncontrollably falling/bobbing in and out of sleep. I assumed it was just because i was tired but if i eat something high in sugar or juice- i perk right up for another hour or so...

just curious if i should be worried that my blood sugar ranges are between 70-110 regardless of eating(pigging out) I've had a lot of wight gain as well (50lbs in 9 months and not pregnant)
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 19 hours later

I do understand that you have some features of hypoglycemia, weight gain and your sugars range between 70 to 110.

Your sugars of 70 to 110 are nothing to be worried and it is normal. The reason for weight gain can be due to frequent eating.

Considering the weight gain and family history of diabetes, it would be preferable to get your oral glucose tolerance test, HBA1c and thyroid function test in consultation with your doctor.

You have also written that you have hypertension and on medication.I would like to know what is your present blood pressure range.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.