Hunger pangs, back ache, prilosec. GERD or peptic ulcer?

Hunger pangs, back ache
A couple times in the last few weeks I've had hunger pangs, progressing into ache under my right ribs and progressing to a pain in my back below right shoulder blade. My doctor suggested I take prilosec,and this has helped a little, but I still often feel a hunger pang like sensation or mild ache under my right ribs.

This was especially bad one day when I skipped breakfast and ate a late lunch. Doesn't seem to happen after I eat, so I don't think it is gall bladder, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not really noticing what I would call heartburn or a feeling of bringing up stomach acid. Could this still be GERD? Am I developing a peptic ulcer maybe?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Hunger prangs with pain in the right upper quadrant especially with delayed meals is classical of acid peptic disease - ulcer or gastritis. Not all poeple have heartburn or epigastric pain
However pain below the shoulder blade is rare in acid peptic disease but is calassical of gallstone disease. However symptons of gallstone disease is classically .
Hence as there are features suggestive of both I would suggest you to get an endoscopy and ultrasound abdomen to clarify the issue