How would I know if pot was mixed with another drug? Can I tell if it was mixed with methamphetamine?

last night i smoked what i thought was pot, but I'm not sure... aside from asking the host, how would I know if it had been mixed with another drug? is there a way to tell if it was mixed with methamphetamine?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to distinguish whether or not there was some type of chemical material in the marijuana which you recently or exposed to.

It would be somewhat possible to speculate if there was some additional material in the drug if you explained exactly what symptoms you have experienced or are currently experiencing at this time.

Regarding the methamphetamine the only real way to possibly confirm that you might have been exposed to that would be to have a blood test or urine sample performed.
If you are in contact with the person who provided you with this marijuana you might inquire from them or other individuals who may have consumed the same product.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Otherwise please accept my response.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: How would I know if pot was mixed with another drug? Can I tell if it was mixed with methamphetamine? 20 hours later
As to the symptoms... there was a sense of disassociation, as if I were separately aware of what I was doing and doing it, but more or less in real time. I recall feeling a bit dizzy when standing, I never lost my balance, but felt ungainly when moving (only short distances).

I am not aware of any current physiological effects (nearly 36 hours later), though my memory of events does not feel clear... as if my recollection of details has faded quicker than normal. Ie, things I can recall happening feel hazy, like a dream, not as concrete as other things I might remember.

This experience was dissimilar from my past experiences with marijuana which were quite mild and did not involve any sense of recollection fuzziness, which is what prompted the question as to what symptoms of meth might be. The one experience that was similar was years ago when I had both pot and ecstasy in the same evening... there was the sense of disassociation, and a very noticeable "coming down" and headache, but none of the "memory fogginess."
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

It is certainly nearly impossible for us to determine if there was any additional substance in the marijuana. If it were some type of methamphetamine it would have to depend on the quantity and it distribution of the substance throughout the marijuana. With methamphetamine you would experienced hyperexcitability as well as elevated temperature or fever. These symptoms usually resolved within about 6 to 8 hours. If you're experiencing some lasting effects such as memory lost I am not aware of any type of methamphetamine exposure that causes memory loss at least on a short-term basis.

I want to again stress the importance that if you are going to purchase this type of substance that you obtain it from someone who is reliable and trustworthy. I did not endorsed the use of the substance on a regular basis as I do feel there are certain potential dangers. I really do not see any health benefit in smoking marijuana as far as I have experienced in any of my patients. If you choose to do so however please do so with care.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.