How will I know till what levels have the intestines reached in inguinal region?

General Surgeon
Question
My hernia is kind of increasing I think. Had done a CT scan in Sep 2012 which showed inguinal ring had widened. But had taken opinion from two different doctors. One said better to fix it at earliest to avoid complications Other said its a sliding hernia and dosent look serious. But somehow I think my intestines have reached the inguinal region and creating problems for me, because of which I have trouble of constipation and also trouble releasing gas. How can I know till where the intestines have reached in the inguinal region ( Any MRI or other scan can tell me how serious is my hernia )
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Confirmatory test to tell the level Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr Savio There is no confirmatory test to know till what levels the intestine have descended. As the position of intestine may vary from time to time depending on intra-abdominal pressure. Inguinal hernia has to be operated at the earliest. Its important because unavoidable complications like obstruction and strangulation are to be avoided. Routine elective planned surgery for hernia has insignificant rate of complications and post operative recurrence compared to doing it as a emergency procedure when complication occur. Complications are more prone to occur especially in sliding hernia. Its not the level to which intestines have descended in the inguinal canal that is the deciding factor when to operate. One should remember its the deep inguinal ring which is narrowest part through which the intestines have to pass through it before descending further down. If they have passed through it , its easy to pass through the rest of it, just a matter of time. It is at this deep ring compression and obstruction can occur. Once hernia is diagnosed, its better to selectively plan the surgery and operate it at earliest. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you happy and healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: How will I know till what levels have the intestines reached in inguinal region? 1 hour later
Can the hernia affect my thigh as well. From past 2-3 days I am getting pain in my front part of right thigh. Hernia is also on right side.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be due to Hernia Detailed Answer: Greetings Its sometimes common to see pain in thigh especially on medial(inner) side of the thigh. Its due to Illio Inguinal nerve irritation. If there is no swelling and erthema over the thigh, its likely that its due to hernia. Manually reducing hernia and Rest will relieve the symptoms. I hope it helped and has solved your query. Do no hesitate to write directly to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you a Happy and Healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: How will I know till what levels have the intestines reached in inguinal region? 55 minutes later
Also my ankle had got twisted last year. But still the same has not got healed properly. Sometimes on walking fast or running while paining it still gives some pain. What do you suggest for the same

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get X-ray of ankle Detailed Answer: Greetings I would suggest you to see any Orthopedician for the ankle pain. You will require X-ray of the foot to rule out stress fracture or partially healed ligament injury by Taking stress views in X-ray. In the meantime local hot water fomentation, elastocrepe bandaging will be helpful. I hope it helped. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon