How useful are nicotine gums to quit smoking ?

Hi ,
I am a chain smoker. I want to know about the nicorette gums
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

It is good to know that you want to quit smoking.

The commonest hurdle that smoker faces when he wants to quit smoking is its withdrawal symptoms. Some times they are too disturbing that a person drops the idea. They are not very serious but can disturb your routine life temporarily.

Let me first explain you about the way these gums work:

The idea is to give nicotine in small doses to avoid withdrawal symptoms and at the same to avoid harmful effect of inhalation of nicotine.

These gums contains small amount of nicotine in them. Depending upon the number of cigarettes you smoke per day you can decide your dose either 2gm or 4gm of gums. If you are heavy smoker means smoking about more then 20 cigarettes you need 4gms.

These gums needs to be chewed in special way known as "chew and park", means you need to chew it till you get the maximum taste and then park it between your gums and oral cavity onto a side. Normally one gum lasts for 30 minutes. This makes release of drugs in smaller doses via mucosa of mouth in the blood stream, so that there are no side effects.

Local reaction if used properly are mild and not worrisome. Complete instruction are normally displayed on the packet, please read it carefully before taking. You need to built up dose over a period of time and them taper it. This can take 6-12 weeks depending upon your tolerance and your dependence.

Gradually increase the number of gums, so that you can reduce the number of cigarettes per day and finally stop it.

The most important in all of this is your will power and motivation. Your determination is must and then you will surely quit. Please avoid the company which makes you to smoke, please also avoid the situations which compel you to smoke.

You are too young and you must quit smoking as it can lead to many problems in your life and can affect your health and wealth both.

Please make up your mind and start this mission, success is yours only.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Follow-up: How useful are nicotine gums to quit smoking ? 5 hours later
Well I had been trying searching for the gums in chennai.. But till now i havnt found any success in that..
I tried with Apollo pharmacy and others but :(

neways thanks for the suggestion
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

good to hear from you.

Again I am happy to learn that you are already searching for one to embark upon the mission to quit smoking.

Please take help of your family doctor,he should be knowing from where to get it.It is manufactured by XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX in India.
Other companies like Pfizer also has a product to quit smoking.

All the best for mission.