How to withdraw Klonopin intake?

Hi Doctor my name is XXXX and I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. I have a psychiatrist who is more in my need to quit smoking cigarettes than the fact I've been trying to explain that since I was a little girl I literally would shake visably when I would get nervous! I also suffer from major depression since childhood. last year, he decided to take me off klonopin cold XXXXXXX while giving me psychotropics like seroquel to calm me. needless to say I thought I was really in hell! when I got out of the hospital I had some at home and couldn't wait to get at them. I was originally prescribed 2mg of klonopin twice daily for over 10yrs. my psychiatrist then reluctlently prescribed 0.5mg to be taken 4X daily instead I take 4 or 5 at a when feeling panicky. I am also on 200mg of Zoloft and suboxone film 2mg twice daily. I am afraid of the withdrawl from Klonopin than even suboxone. I am in AA and my dr says as long as I take Klonopin I'm really not sober. HELP!!!!!
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Klonopin can be withdrawn Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Klonopin is clonazepam and it is one of the benign benzodiazepines. Unlike alprazolam it doesn't give the high. At 4 mg clonazepam can be withdrawn, but it has to be gradual. At 4mg, clonazepam has to be reduced by 0.5mg each time and it needs to be withdrawn gradually over 2-3 months. Many of my patients have recovered from clonazepam dependance. Regarding zoloft, the other better options are paroxetine or venlafaxine etc. Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.