How to use mtp cipla kit for abortion?

Mar 2013
dear sir, kindly tell the correct process of using mtp cipla kit for 22 yr girl in which case last period started on 24th nov but thill date not recd. another & positive test confirmed in home kit test. kindly cnfrm on urgent basis.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later

Thanks for your query on the portal.

I would like to tell you certain very important things regarding medical abortion procedure.

First and foremost, medical abortion should NOT be attempted without medical supervision.
1. Even if the home pregnancy test is positive, the pregnancy needs to be confirmed by a gynecologist and exact dating needs to be done, since these pills work only up to specific gestational age, and not beyond that.
2. You need to rule out possibility of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus) which will also be done by a specialist, as taking medical pills in that scenario is disastrous and life threatening.
3. Medical abortion has also got chances of severe life threatening bleeding at times, for which you need to be under medical care.
4. It has a 5 % failure rate, following which you require surgical termination, which might be needed in an emergency also.
5. Unsupervised medical abortion might cause severe infection, retained products which maybe undetected. Hence it is important to have a follow up visit with your gynecologist two weeks AFTER taking the pills, at which it would be confirmed that the pregnancy was successfully and completely terminated.

That said and done, I would give you a few guidelines about medical termination: Each pack contains 5 tablets -
1 tablet of Mifepristone…200 mg
4 tablets of Misoprostol, each containing Misoprostol…200 mcg

Mifipristone is taken orally and 1–3 days later by 800 mg of misoprostol is administered vaginally either by the clinician or self-administered.

For women at 49–63 days of gestation, if abortion has not occurred 4 hours after administration of misoprostol, a second dose of misoprostol 400 mcg may be administered vaginally or orally (depending upon preference and amount of bleeding).

The patient should return for a follow-up visit approximately 14 days after the administration of mifepristone. This visit is very important to confirm by clinical examination or ultrasonographic scan that a complete termination of pregnancy has occurred.

Patients who have an ongoing pregnancy at this visit have a risk of foetal malformation resulting from the treatment. Surgical termination is recommended to manage medical abortion treatment failures
Also, the dose might vary depending on body weight or other risk factors present in the patient, so as stressed by me earlier, please go for this procedure ONLY AFTER consultation, and examination by a specialist; else you place the person undergoing this at great risk

I hope this information encourages you to consult your doctor. I will be available for further guidance.

All the best...