How to use Peak flow meter?

I am a 15 year old female. I am 5'7 and weigh in at 119.4 pounds. I am extremely active in the sense that I am a competitive elite synchronized swimmer and I train long hard hours. I think I might have exercised induced asthma; I don't know. But I decided to try my sister's peak flow meter since she has asthma. I did three repetitions of taking in a big breath and exhale and hard as I can and it resulted in 390 L/M for all three reps. Is this okay? Please answer. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Normal PEFR Detailed Answer: Hi, The Peak flow meter should be used after mod to severe exercise if someone suspects exercise induced asthma. The next thing is single PEF measurement is not helpful always. At least few values are to be recorded when normal during an attack or after exercise. Your value is normal for your height and age, it should be between 350 to 450. An easy to remember approximation is: PEFR (L/min) = [Height (cm) - 80] x 5. I still suggest you the clinical symptoms are more important than measurements like these. Please see a doctor if you have breathless, fast and shallow breathing post exercise. **I suggest you to use this forum only under the guidance of your parents as this is not for under 18 age. Have a Good Health.