How to understand the response of a person having delusional thoughts?

What is (are) the likely response(s) from a person when confronted about their delusional thinking?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Sexual dysfunction Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW for your health related query. There is no problem even if you chose the wrong category, your query is being answered by a right person( psychiatrist). To understand the response of a person having delusional thoughts, one has to understand what is a delusion. A delusion is a firm and fast belief which is not affected by the evidence to the contrary. In other words, it is held with certainty(absolute conviction), incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counter-argument or proof to the contrary) and some times bizarre. So some one believes that his children have been alienated from him by his spouse, he considers that there is a sinister plan being hatched by his spouse, alone or in combination with a few others, to alienate his children. In such a case, I would expect to respond aggressively when confronted with contrary evidence to his the belief. Yes, suicidal as well as homicidal thoughts are possible. Hope this will help you. Any further questions are welcome DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Follow-up: How to understand the response of a person having delusional thoughts? 18 hours later
I already knew most of that as stated in the question. I was hoping to get advice on the best way to approach the husband with the information to the contrary. Are there different schools of thought regarding which therapeutic strategies yield the most amenable attitude towards accepting the contrary information and moving forward with treatment? I don't think a sexologist is the correct speciality. That is why I quickly changed the category. I already know the definition of a delusion. Most of the response could have come from Wiki. I paid to have a psychiatrist answer my question.
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Sexual Dysfunctions Detailed Answer: Hello, There is only one scientifically accepted school of thought in present era regarding delusions that they are the result of excessive amount of neurotransmitter dopamine and glutamate in the neuronal synapses of prefrontal portion of brain. As the etiology is of structural changes in brain, the treatment effective is by medicines reducing levels of dopamine and slowing down effect of glutamate. So there complete scientific consensus that a delusion is to be treated by medicines called antipsychotics. so the best way to approach your husband would be to take him to a psychiatrist and start medicines. He will resist and try to avoid taking medicines . This issue has to be resolved with the help of your psychiatrist. The strategy should be to make sure that he takes medicine. these days, there are depot preparations to be taken once in 2-3 weeks or liquids to be given mixed in food. Psychological interventions are helpful in educating the family regarding the nature of illness, importance of taking medicines, keeping the level of stresses as low as possible and helping to start with social activities when a person has recovered I hope this information is useful. If you need any more information, you are welcome Regards DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA