How to treat watery eyes ?

ENT Specialist
My left eye has been weeping for several years. It has gotten worse this year. I had a procedure two weeks ago to open the tear duct. It has partial obstruction and continues to weep. My doctor said the only other option is DCR surgury to completely open the tear duct. I don't want surgery. Do I have another option? I am 49, 5'3", 131, and I have had sleep deprivation for 16 years.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Follow-up: How to treat watery eyes ? 30 minutes later
Why hasn't my question been answered?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 minutes later

Welcome to HealthcareMagic

Excessive tears can be due to various reasons, irritation in the eyes because of the eye lashes, malformation of the eyelids, excessive production of the tears, neurological reasons, etc. or due to the obstruction in the out flow of the tears from the eyes.

According to your query, you seem to be suffering from post saccal obstruction of the nasolacrimal duct (you can refer the following link to look into the anatomy of the nasolacrimal apparatus WWW.WWWW.WW .

The various reasons for this are scarring or fibrosis of the sac and the duct, bony obstruction causing stasis of the lacrimal secretions, recurrent sinus infections, etc.

As a part of the initial procedures, probing and massage over the nasolacrimal duct will be done to relieve the obstruction. If the above measures are not beneficial then the surgical approach would be sought. If your ophthalmologist has advised you to go for a surgery you can definitely do so.

As there are not many alternatives I would suggest you to undergo surgery which can be more beneficial for you than suffering from this problem. There are recent advances in the approach to nasolacrimal duct obstruction.

There are two different ways of performing this surgery one is from outside and another from inside the nose (endoscopically). There are various advantages when the surgery is performed from inside the nose using an endoscope. No scar is seen as it is performed completely inside the nose, lacrimal pump mechanism is preserved and the success rates are more compared to that of the external approach.

Endoscopic Dacryocysto Rhinostomy is performed by ENT specialists as they are well trained in using the nasal endoscope and the anatomy of the nose.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: How to treat watery eyes ? 1 hour later
What is the recovering time with the XXXXXXX approach to the surgery?
Follow-up: How to treat watery eyes ? 2 hours later
What is the recovering time period with the XXXXXXX approach to the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for following me up,

The recovery time on an average requires at least three weeks for the wound to heal completely and the nose to get cleared of the clots and crusts. But there will be a silicon stent which will be placed inside the nasal cavity to create an artificial tract for the easy flow of the tears from the lacrimal punctum. This silicon stent will remain in situ for 4-6 months depending upon the surgeon’s experience during the surgery.

The prime advantage of this XXXXXXX approach is the lacrimal pump mechanism to drain out the tears is preserved. Unlike, that of an external approach where this pump mechanism is destroyed and the fibrosis which may form post surgery can cause stenosis of the tract and recurrence of the symptoms.

“Wish you Good Health”

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: How to treat watery eyes ? 14 hours later
Is the stent removed after the 4-6 months period?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 46 minutes later

Welcome back,

Yes, definitely the stent will be removed after a period of 4-6 months once the tract has been well formed. The ENT specialist will perform a nasal endoscopy and under its guidance the silicone stent will be severed and removed from the nostril. With the formation of this artificial tract the tears start flowing into it just like a normal duct does.

"Wish you Good Health".

Dr. Naveen Kumar