How to treat thrush without consulting a doctor?

May 2013
Think I may have thrush. (result of using baby oil during sex) Can it be treated without a visit to the dr?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to consult gynecologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Thrush can be treated with topical antifungal cream which are available over the counter. But it is better to start treatment only after visiting doctor and with her prescription. Because it is difficult to guess the type of infection just by symptoms. It needs detailed examination by the doctor. Further using one drug for another infection can lead to development of resistance or flaring up of infection etc. I recommend that you visit a doctor to differentiate thrush from allergic reaction to the baby oil, that may be mimicking the thrush. So better to get examined once to find out the exact cause and take treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care