Ask a Urologist   »  

How to treat the pain at the base of penis?

Question
I have small pain at base of penis (at deep dorsal vein location). How to treat it.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query

Pain at the base of penis can be due to various reasons as Bruise,UTI, Prostatitis or any injury.If it is associated with any other symptoms as burning urination,urgency or increased frequency of urination,fever etc then it is indicative of any underlying disorder as Prostate inflammation.

You could follow these suggestions

Apply ice pack several times in a day.
Drink lots of water.
Avoid any kind of stretching exercise.
Have some painkillers as Paracetamol or Ibuprofen.

If due to any injury or bruise the symptoms should subside in a day or two.But if there is any other associated symptom as fever or burning in urine then you need to get it examined by a Urologist and might require some investigations as Urine Tests and USG to rule out the exact cause of pain.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.

Follow-up: How to treat the pain at the base of penis? 4 hours later

Dear Doctor,

There are no visible injury or bruise. Neither are symptoms like burning urination, urgency or increased urination, fever. It is a little discomfort throughout the day but pain appears more at Penis base (top side - deep dorsal vein location), while bending down the penis.

However I have started the Ibuprofen and Ciproflaxacin 500.

Will wait for another couple of days then go for physical examination.

If you have further update kindly inform.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thats good if there are no other symptoms.You have already started the pain killer and follow the other instructions also which I have explained you in the previous answer as applying ice pack.
If after 3 days the pain is persistent and there is no other change do not hesistate to visit a Urologist for evaluation.

Wishing you Good Health!