How to treat shortness of breath due to allergens ?

Hi, may I answer you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Follow-up: How to treat shortness of breath due to allergens ? 6 minutes later
I've been having a problem for about 3 weeks that I feel I need to constantly need to take XXXXXXX breathes all the time.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 55 minutes later

What this sounds like is that you may have developed a bit of a reactive airway.

What this means is that sometimes, dust or allergens may trigger a bit of inflammation in the airways which might give you the sensation that you may need to take XXXXXXX breaths. You might even experience a bit of shortness of breath while speaking. This reactive airway is similar to asthma.

What we as physicians usually do for this would be a trial of an inhaler such as albuterol. The albuterol helps to decrease the swelling or inflammation of the airway and the response would be relatively quick - within a day or so. If you for some reason did not respond to that, an X-ray might be ordered.

I assume you are a non-smoker? If you smoke, that could also be playing a role.

I hope I have provided an adequate response to your query. I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How to treat shortness of breath due to allergens ? 1 hour later
The more I think about it the worse it becomes and if I try not to take a XXXXXXX breath it almost feels like im holding my breath like I've become so dependent on the XXXXXXX breath. I also feel a tingling or burning sensation around my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later

Is there any way you can go for an evaluation by a physician? I think this would be the most prudent thing to do right now as it will include a complete physical exam and correlation of your symptoms with possibly a prescription remedy for your breathing.

I would strongly urge you to do the best you can to seek an evaluation as soon as you are able. As for the tingling around your mouth, I am not sure that is related to your original question.

Once again, do your best to seek a physician evaluation as there is really nothing that I can recommend in the meantime that is available over the counter.

I hope this has been helpful and as before, I am available for your followup.