How to treat red rash under shaft causing itching and burning post intercourse ?

I have a rash that is red but not raised at the base of my shaft. It burns and itches especially after intercourse or masterbation in that area and on the shaft. I have have no symptoms on the tip. I am married and neither my wife or I have any STD's that we are aware of. Jock itch spray seems to help but flares up again after intercourse. Any thoughts on what it is?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 35 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Any dermatological condition needs a physical examination for a proper diagnosis.

From the description of your symptoms your rash could be due to Dyshidrotic Eczema (Dermatitis) or a Ringworm (jock itch) infection.

Dermatitis can produce itchy, dry, red and flaky skin. The combination of heat and moisture can make eczema extremely itchy making the genital region of the body one of the most uncomfortable places to get eczema

Eczema can be treated with steroid (or corticosteroid) ointments creams.

In case of severe or recurrent ringworm infections, you may require further treatment with stronger prescription medications, such as those containing ketoconazole or terbinafine, or oral antifungals may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.