How to treat recurring episodes of amnesia in a patient with temporal lobe epilepsy?

Sep 2012

I will be presenting a possible diagnosis for my Mother's condition to her doctor on Wednesday. The descriptions of this condition I've found through HOURS of Internet research match hers INCREDIBLY! My fear however is it is apparently very rare and I'm afraid her neurologist will dismiss it. How can I present this information in a way that will not make it sound like I'm trying to do his job for him?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
The disease you told us is a very rare disease ( only 50 patients diagnosed till date). Though it is characterized by recurring episodes of amnesia in a patient with like Olfactory hallucination, repetitive questioning, without loss of personal identity.
So, the diagnosis depends on some special neurological findings which are very characteristic for this disease.
In my opinion, you should not lead the doctor to do diagnosis of this disease depending on your finding.
You may present the history of epilepsy in details and the episodes of memory loss and other findings you noticed. Do not utter the term Transient Epileptic Amnesia. Let the doctor do his jobs like physical and special examination on his own way.
Then ask the doctor about the diagnosis. If the doctor tells you that it is something else then believe the doctor. At the end of session you sound as if you have some questions. It is the time when your doctor will give you time to answer all your questions. You may pose questions about your readings, findings and possibly about Transient Epileptic Amnesia as well.
Let me know if you have more concerns to be addressed.