How to treat problem of constipation while on Miralax and laxative?

I'm 81. I had a colostomy and have a pouch. I suffer from a bloated stomach that feels it is going to burst. I've had this condition for many months. Recently had a CT that showed I was consipated. I've been on Miralax and also took a laxative. It helped a little bit but recurred once off the laxative. How can I get a normal stomach back?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Increase natural fiber and fluid Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your concerns. Given the presence of a colostomy, you are more prone to lose water and electrolytes since the colon is the site where most water is reabsorbed, this predisposes to constipation. Thus, increasing fluid intake, as well as natural fiber from fruits and vegetables, particularly papaya and prunes, will be beneficial for you; hopefully after a little while your bowel mechanics improve. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN