Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat pain and swelling due to leg injury ?

I have been to the doctors and the hospital had a ultrasound on my leg the blood flow was good tx XXXXXXX was good I slam my leg near the chin bone and it hurts swollen very sharp pain at times they said it would be like that there is no blood clots according to the ultrasound they said how long would it be hurting like this it hurts down to the ankle the calf itself does not hurt
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for the query,

Since the x-ray and ultrasound is normal there is no need to worry since there is no clots or fracture.
Swelling is caused when blood collects to heal an injured area. Sometimes, the blood moves down the body due to gravity, in this case to your foot and ankle.The pain will be there for a few days.

Apply ice or cold packs immediately to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes, 3 or more times a day.
Rest or take a break from any activity that may be causing your pain or soreness. When resting, place a small pillow under your knee.

Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while applying ice and anytime you are sitting or lying down. Try to keep the area at or above the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.

Avoid high-impact exercise, such as running, skiing, snowboarding, or playing tennis, until your knee is no longer painful or swollen.
Gently massage or rub the area to relieve pain and encourage blood flow. Do not massage the injured area if it causes pain.

You can continue with the medication Brufen twice a day.Also you can take a serratopeptidase along with it and apply Tiger Balm to the affected area. With all the above measures within 72 hours the pain takes a downward course.

Hope my answer is adequate,I am available for followup should you have anymore concern.