How to treat loss of taste in the mouth ?

I am a 52 year old male and I have lost my sense of taste for about 2 weeks. It started with a cold, but that is over with and I still cannot taste anything.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi ,

Upper respiratory system and middle ear infections are the most common cause of lost taste sensation.

Usually after recovering from infection the taste sensation becomes normal but time taken to revert back to normal varies.

Meanwhile consult a Otolaryngologist. If it is pathological the cause can be picked up early.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: How to treat loss of taste in the mouth ? 2 hours later
Is it common to take up to a month for the taste to return? I have never experienced anything like this in the past and the cold appeared very mild.
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 20 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for follow up query.

No , the taste sensation returns to normal within a week, at maximum till 2weeks. it is unusual for a mild cold to cause this symptom for a month long.

I suggest you to see the Otolaryngologist/Physician, after the clinical examinations(Nose , ear, throat) the cause can be made out.

I hope this helps you. Take care. You can always use this service again for any more queries you have. We are glad to be able to help you.