Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat ligament injuries ?

hi i have been have bad foot paid for 8 weeks now after falling about 20ft onto the grass and i landed on my feet. i went to a&e and they said there is nothing wrong with it the xrays are clear but i am still having problems with it as it rolls in so i have no arch then it makes me fall over after a while as it is unstable. have u any idea what it could be
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Hi Winnie,

I suspect the cause for the pain you have is probably a ligamental injury, since its a wight bearing part of the limb .The pain will be a bit long lasting type and the recovery is always late.

I suggest you to use a brace or apply a crepe bandage which will immobilize the affected part and help you to recover fast, also to alleviate the pain do apply Diclofenac gel over the affected area.

Xrays can rule out fractures in about 90% of suspected cases, some like hair line fractures can be missed.

If the pain doesn't subside over the above efforts, do go for a repeat Xray with good exposure ( with good resolution ).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: How to treat ligament injuries ? 6 hours later
what sort of brace do u think will be best as i have an ankle wrap and it doesnt work as it still rolls in. if i get a brace would i be able to walk or even drive
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
Hi ,

Yes, you can walk with the brace on.

Try Mueller ATF® Pro-Style Ankle Braces, they have better compliance.

Wish you good health.