How to treat diabetes and septicaemia ?

Hi my name is Rose. I developed septicaemia from a cannula site which was left in my arm for 4 days. I had an angiogram during that time results were fine. My arm appeared "DEAD" heavy went back into hospital after 4 days with fever,chills,and red pus infection from cannula site. I ended up in having pus removed and straight into intensive care cause my kidneys shut down, i was extremely ill. I went into septic shock, retained 22kg. in fluid, ended up on dialysis and finally coming off it as well. 3 months after leaving hospital I had a massive ear infection in my left ear this all happened in September 2009, and by XXXXXXX 2010 I had swelling in my eyes, to date i have hearing loss in both ears, it has now been 18 months, i cant drive, work or function as a result of this illness. For my eyes i have had avasten injections and scattered laser treatment several times but progress is still not the best. I am booked into see an ENT specialist for my ears, no-one even bothered to listen to me when i said my ear does not feel right..i have ringing and always feels like there is a plug more in the middle ear. My kidneys are back in normal range but my life has been destroyed and to date i cannot continue to drive, work and get very tired. I was also diagnosed with Intracranial Pressure, but nothing showed on CT scan, but i had a lumbur puncture done and my result was 31. I am also a diabetic. My question here is:
1. Will i ever really recover from this illness, and 2. I keep being told that I have diabetes anyway, and feel that nobody takes me seriously enough and gives me proper answers. Has the septicaemia, septic shock aggravated or bought on these conditions which i never had, or has it aggravated my diabetes. I am no dr. but i truly believe that my diabetes is not the cause of all this. I worked 6 days a week prior to getting sick in Real Estate, managed display centres, staff and clients with no major complications from my diabetes. Can you please shed some light on my medical concerns...Thank you
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

I will answer all your queries one by one.

1. You have got multiple illnesses most of which are a consequence of the septicemia episode.The ear problem and the kidney problem mainly are because of it. Your ear problem may be can be solved by a cochlear implant. If any hearing aid can help you or not this will be decided by ENT specialist after audiometry.

2. Diabetes is a separate disease most likely not resulting from septicemia.Your eye problem may have been aggravated by diabetes. It complicates many diseases but you can lead a normal life with some specialist help.

Don't be disheartened. You will recover to a large extent if not fully.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: How to treat diabetes and septicaemia ? 6 hours later
1. In your opinion, do you think my vision will improve enough for me to drive again, currently i am borderline to driving and have been so for the last 12 months. I have l aser treatment every 2 months now, each time more pain and alot longer for eye to settle.

2. Will these "bugs" always show in my blood (i had mssa,e-coli, etc), urine still shows lots of bugs with no growth, does this mean i will always be susceptible to ths type of infection for the rest of my life. I have been doing regular excercise, lost 10kg and drinking lots of fresh water and herbal teas to help flush my system.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Let us be hopeful. There are chances that with the laser surgery even if ti is painful, will give you good results.

Diabetes is one disease which if not controlled properly will always be associated with repeated infections.You need to control the diabetes well only then your blood and urine infections will subside.