How to treat dark spots caused due to acne?

Dec 2013

how to treat a dark spots that left from acne and shaving beard on a oily skin . it been quiet long and I want to get rid of those dark spots.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the suggestions below. Detailed Answer: HI, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the dark spots after acne and shaving. To tell you simple facts about these spots- these marks or spots are known as "Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. These are formed due to the activity of melanocytes in the skin. These melanocytes are the cells which regularly produces color/pigment known as melanin in the skin. These are superficially present in the upper skin known as epidermis. So whenever there is any type of injury to the skin then there is over production of melanin in the skin. This pigmentation is known as "Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. The injury can be of any type- as in your case it is due to acne and shaving. So the important of the fact is -as the epidermis or the superficial skin is continuously renewed, so therefore these PIH marks are also temporary and not permanent marks. These definitely fades by itself after a period of time. It depends on the depth of pigmentation- if it superficial then get vanished in few months or may take mutiple of months if are deeper one. There are certain medication which helps out in reducing and removing the pigment in short period of time. For this in my opinion you can use cream containing Kojic acid or Azealic acid over the affected area of pigmentation. These are one of the best and safest creams to be applied. Apply any of these creams in a very thin layer at night time so that these should not be visible to naked eye. Apply at night time before sleeping. You should use a good sunscreen- preferably a gel based rather than a cream based one, because of your previous history of acne. Diet is also quite important in reducing the pigmentation. Good diet not only helps in renewing the skin better as well as works as best sunscreen to protect our skin. You can eat a lot fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily schedule. I hope these informations will help you in getting rid of pigmentation marks.I will be glad to reply any further queries. I wish best and early recovery, With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD