How to treat cough and sore throat ?

Hi, i am 33 year old. i start body aches, sore throat and cough on thursday evening on 7th april went to doctor on monday. he told me i got bronchoitis and he gave me antibiotic and puffer. but my condition is getting worse. i have bad bad headache. my aches and all body hurts badly. i am feeling nauseous and even at my dughters game today i was feeling like i am going to faint. whats going on with me? what i should do? plz answer.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later

Your body is obviously struggling to overcome an infection. The antibiotic is treating a possible bacterial infection but it is also possible your body is fighting a viral syndrome as well. When the immune system is stimulated - as it is in your case, quite often there are some symptoms which can occur due to the fact that the immune system will cause a state of inflammation until the infection is brought under control.

Signs of inflammation and immune system activity include fatigue, aches and pains, headache and even nausea. In addition, I am not sure if the puffer is a new medication for you. It can cause a side effect of increasing the heart rate which can make you feel ill as well. Use the puffer sparingly - maybe one inhalation three times per day if you feel chest tightness or wheezing.

Also, you have to push fluid and electrolyte intake. When we become ill, we tend not to eat or drink as much which canmake us dehydrated. I would encourage you to drink a good non-caffeinated beverage which has some sugar, and some electrolytes in addition to water such as gatorade. Be gentle opn your stomach for a day or two - eat only bland foods including bread, rice, toast or applesauce until your immune system is able to work along with the antibiotic to eliminate the infection.

Let me reassure you that you will feel better - it is just a matter of time and usually three to five days before you should expect an almost full recovery. Finally, adequate sleep is essential. You must strive for at least 7 or 8 hours of rest at night if possible.

I hope I have adequately answered your concern here. I am available for your followups.