How to treat cosmetic deformity of head due to repetitive sleeping in same position?

Hello, My son is 2.1 year old & im concerned about the shape of his head. Basis Doctor instructions we never took any precautions during 1 year of my kid & later we realised that due to him habituated to always sleep on left side the shape of the head is slightly tilted towards left. I need your inputs if anything can help correct it. Regards XXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Deformation plagiocephaly is essentially a cosmetic deformity and occurs due to repetitive sleeping in same position. It does not causes any problem with growing brain or intellectual ability. Most babies can be treated by modifying their sleeping positions. Positioning devices like foam wedges can be used and gradually pressure can be relieved and shape of skull will gradually correct itself. If this does not help molding helmet can be used which is prescribed by craniofacial surgeons. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further query. Wishing your baby good health. God bless..
Follow-up: How to treat cosmetic deformity of head due to repetitive sleeping in same position? 17 hours later
Thanks a tonn Dr.Synthyia for those inputs... I would focus on his sleeping position/habbits. However, need your help understanding if there are any specific brands or locations where i can find these foam wedges. Secondly i wanted to know till what age does the sleeping position impact skull shape. Regards
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Actually greatest amount of correction occurs till one year of age as bones are flexible in earlier age. But even at 2 years of age counter positioning can be tried. .Regarding this counter positioning techniques can be taught by pediatric they have proper foams. I also suggest you to get your child assessed by doctor as physical examination is required to see level of deformity and treatment accordingly. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further. Take care.