How to treat bleeding from one ear and suspected damaged ear drum?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have some bleeding from one ear and may have damaged an ear drum somehow. There is no Pain and I feel fine . How can bleeding be treated
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: it will heal by itself Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who has treated more than ten thousand cases of ear drum perforations over the years! I Shall try to help you out with your problem. You seem to have injured your drum when you were cleaning with the bud or q tip or by other causes which can include a simple slap. Anyway let me assure you that ear drum perforations are very common and most of them heal if given proper time and a good condition to heal. I must also add that people do not realize the danger of a cleaning with buds, you do not have to clean at all. Our ear has an excellent self cleansing mechanism so you do not have to clean. The bleeding will subside in a day or two provided you do not meddle or try to clean again. Also any clot within the ear will dissolve in a week or so hence do not worry and do these: -Do not take head bath for two weeks and after that do not allow any water to enter the ear -In case you do want to take head bath then take a piece of clean cotton and dip it in coconut oil or Vaseline petroleum jelly and place it at the entrance of your canal after squeezing it. This will prevent any water to enter the ear. -take a course of antibiotic like amox-clav and anti histamine like levocetrizine if you have pain. Your doctor will know about these. -Do not put any other ear drops -get an audiometric testing done if you feel that you have a ear block -If the pain is more then you may consider taking injectable medications for better and faster symptom control. -wait for a week or so for the bleeding to subside and the block to become better but remember that the complete healing of ear drum takes anywhere between two weeks to two months so be patient. You definitely need to get the drum examined by an ENT with an instrument called the otoscope for correct diagnosis if you feel that the block is severe and the bleeding is not receding. Again remember that if you keep your ears clean and dry the drum will recover If any other doubts get back to me and I shall be more than happy to help you regards Dr Sriram Nathan