How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. My dauhgter is complaing about back pain in the spine area. She is 8 years old. Would should i do? How i can help her?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later
Hello Lenason,

I need to know a few more details before jumping on to the diagnosis.

How long has this pain been and where exactly is it?
Did she fall or hit herself lately?
Any fever?
Is she on any medications for the same?
Any swelling/ redness in that area?
Does it pain on touching that region and how bad is the pain?
Any other problem at present or in the past?
Does she have pain elsewhere?
Is she in front of the computer for long hours?

Kindly get back to me with these answers so I can help you better. I will be available for followup queries.

Follow-up: How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ? 21 hours later

thank you for your respond. So far as i know she didn't had any trauma or injures. She has been complaining about back pain for about 2 month now. She is complains about pain in the spine area, today she is in pain more in the middle portion of the right side were is ribs are located. There is no redness or swollen parts on the back. She feels pain when i try to massage. She doesn't spent a lot of time on the computer (no more then 1 hour , and it not every day). She is taking only one kind of medication Singulair due to her seasonal allergy. She is taking karate and plays soccer. She is skinny and tall. Please let me know what do you think.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 4 hours later
Hi again Lenason,

I don't think this would be worrisome as it could most likely be a muscle strain or a rib trauma she had while playing or practicing Karate. But it's advisable to go for an Xray of her chest to rule out any hairline rib fracture.

If the pain is due to muscle pull or a minor rib fracture, it will subside with prescribed analgesics and you needn't worry about it.

You can mail me the X rays at YYYY@YYYY . ATTN Dr.Sangeet. kindly reply here after you send it so that I can answer here as a follow up.

Follow-up: How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ? 5 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Sangeet.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 11 hours later
Your welcome XXXXXXX

Wish your daughter good health.