How to treat allergy to dogs?

ENT Specialist
Hi there...just a quick question regarding allergies. I've never been allergic to anything my entire life. I've always been allergy free and have been able to be around any animal or in any environment without issue. Suddenly, at age 29, I am brutally allergic to dogs. My eyes get red and wattery, I sneeze, my nose gets's terrible. And it seems to be all dogs. I've never heard of an adult on-set allergy such as this before. Could you possibly shed some light on how this is possible and if it's possible to reverse it? Thanks!!
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergy can strike at anytime. Detailed Answer: Hello sir, Contrary to popular belief allergies can strike at anytime in one's lifetime. The general rule in allergy management is - if it is possible to stay away from allergens (allergy causing agents) then stay away from them as far as is possible. When it comes to pets, individuals who are identified to be allergic to pets are advised to not keep pets at home, if pets are already present then they are advised to keep them outside the bedroom and to not replace them after their death. If they are unable to stay away from pets then they should take anti allergic medication which includes an antihistamine, a steroid nasal spray and in your case some anti histamine eye drops. Sadly there is no way to reverse your allergy. There is no way to guess how your allergy will behave in future. It may get worse, or persist in the same way or subside. You have 2 options, as I said you can stay away from dogs or take allergy medication. immunotherapy claims to cure allergy but it is reserved from people with intractable allergies. Feel free to follow up. Dr Rajkishori.