How to treat a painful swelling in ring finger post dog bite ?

Hi, a dog bite the joint of my ring finger 3 weeks ago. I did go to see a Doctor who cleaned and dressed it, prescribed antibiotics. I was concerned as it has been 3 weeks and my entire finger is swollen, painful and cold to the touch. I did visit the walk in clinic yesterday as concerned. It is curved and not sure if it is due to the swelling. The Doctor said it didn't look infected, to stop using it and if the swelling didn't go down in a few days to come back and they might have to open it to relieve the pressure? Please advise.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query ,

First I would want to say that dressing the wound is not advisable in case of any bite wounds. That could leave the inoculated micro organisms or the spores inside often resulting in infections.

The same could be considered the reason for swelling of the finger in you.Hence I would suggest you to be on antibiotic treatment now.The reduced movements and the curving will be due to the swelling.

The other cause for the swelling in the dog bitten finger would be due to allergy but this may be seen soon after the bite ( hours ) but not after 3 weeks.

I expect you to be getting vaccinated against the Rabies by now , do not miss the doses by any chance.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.