Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat a dent in the thigh ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my thigh at the top has got a dented in bit on it and it feels swollen down below the dent i havnt hurt or banged my leg so dont know what it can be can u help Age 48 Weight 8st 8lb Im 5ft 3ins. My legs feel weaker sometime as if they could buckle underneath me or as if they could collapse i feel all right apart from that im eating as normal as well .I do quite a lot of walking though and bought those new trainers that r supposed to tone your legs could it b that my muscle is just getting bigger cause im exercising with different trainers ive been walking the same distance for years though and only just have this dented bit now on one leg dont like to bother the dr with it or waste there time if its nothing to worry about so i thought id ask on here.Ive had it for about week now.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later

Thigh is the part of the limb above the knee. The one below it is called leg. Am sorry as I couldn't really figure out where exactly the dent is.
It would be helpful if you send me a snap of both your legs from the thighs, preferably in the standing position.
Send the pictures to the following email id
" YYYY@YYYY " with subject as "ATTN : Dr.Sangeet"

And about the weakness, if it occurs within a few hours after walking/ running, its normal. This could be because of fatigue. Normal muscles tend to fatigue after prolonged activity. Further activity could cause clumsiness or a feeling of buckling of knees.

I personally don't feel that your trainers are problematic.

Some related facts might be of help to you:
- There are some dents in the leg which normally appear after prolonged exercise. These are the normal muscular curves and can be ignored.
- Based on the level of activity, the dent will be more prominent in the more exerting leg.
- Thus the dominant limb has slightly more mass and curves (dents) than the non dominant one.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries and don't hesitate.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: How to treat a dent in the thigh ? 1 hour later
My dent is on my thigh the front of my thigh up near the top .
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

If the dent is painful or it pains on walking or climbing stairs, it could be a muscle strain/ tear. Maybe you had it some time ago and it went unnoticed.

A muscle tear can be painful following trauma and painless in chronic cases wherein the tear occurs due to repetitive micro-ruptures.

If the dent is painful to press, an MRI of the thigh and hip region would localize the actual cause.

In my opinion it could be a chronic (long term) rupture of the Rectus (Thigh muscle) tendon. It also explains for the weakness of your knee and that buckling feel which is seen with the same.

However, if you don't wanna jump in for an MRI so soon, please send me a picture of that region at the above mentioned address.

If you notice pain on walking, restrain walking as much as possible as it could only aggravate the condition.

I will be available for your follow up queries.

Thank u for your advice its very helpful i cant manage to take a good enough photo on this laptop its not very clear photos .However i dont have pain in the dent when i touch it or when im walking its mainly at night time or when im in bed my legs ache not to the touch but its as if my bones feel all sore and on occasions as i said my legs sometimes have been feeling weak the dent is not that big but i did notice it and know it wasnt there before .
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 4 hours later
Hi again,

If the dent is painless, I don't think there's any problem with it. Be carefree. But if you continue to have weakness of that knee or leg or gradually developing pain, its advisable to get an MRI of that region and mail it on the given address.

So, ignore that dent for a while. You can continue walking as before lest it starts bothering you. Do try to consult me back if the night pains are unbearable.

I will be available for follow-up to solve your queries.

Wish you good health, XXXXXXX