How to treat a bad cold, sore throat and coughing persistent for 5 days causing a marble-sized lump in throat ?

ENT Specialist
I have had a bad cold for 5 days. Stuffy head,sore throat and coughing. Now I feel a marble-sized lump near where an XXXXXXX XXXXXXX would be. It does not hurt but I can put my fingers around it outside the skin of my throat. I am 50 yrs old,5'7" tall, 145lbs in excellent health.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The chief problem that you are suffering from is sinusitis. Feeling of stuffiness of the head with sore throat and cough following cold are the classical features of sinusitis. Whenever an individual is affected by cold, due to the changes in the mucosa of the nose, the secretions in the nose and the paranasal sinuses get accumulated inside the sinus cavities causing stuffiness or heaviness of the head. Later, the secretions get infected and when the infected secretions trickle down over the posterior pharyngeal wall (wall of the throat), it induces sore throat. And because of the tricking sensation and the swelling in the throat, cough reflex is stimulated.

Secondly, the swelling in the front of the Adam’s XXXXXXX could be a lymph node. Lymph node is like a policeman of our body, it swells up in the region of infection indicating an ongoing infection.

You require a broad spectrum antibiotic, a mucolytic (such as Bromhexine or Ambroxyl) and saline nasal drops to help in clearing of the mucus from the sinus cavities. Also, drink plenty of warm water and do steam inhalation 3-4 times every day. If the symptoms do not subside consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon