How to treat Urinary tract infection in 60 year old woman ?

Woman, 60 - urinary infection, what should I take,
test: hi density of blood, nitrites - positive, lleucocytes - strong, leucocytes - 10-20, erythrocytes - 5-10, bacteria 3+
excuse my english, I am from Montreal
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 14 hours later
Hello Lucille,

You certainly have urinary tract infection and should see urologist for the same.

You should give your urine for culture and sensitivity and get treated accordingly.

In the meantime you can start yourself on cranberry juice and plenty of fluids orally.

You can take drugs belonging to fluoroquinolone group of drugs, they are quite effective.

Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation.

I am sorry, I won't be able to prescribe you any medicines without examining you personally.

Kindly discuss with your doctor regarding these drugs and also the treatment options.

But, you definitely need a course of antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.