How to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ?

good morning doctor.. i am 21 years old, my weight is approx. 55kg. i have a mental disorder.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Follow-up: How to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ? 42 minutes later
hello whenever i wash my hand.., after wash i an just unable to decide its purity after several washes. is it a disorder with me?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Washing hands very frequently,and not getting convinced repeatedly about the cleanliness of the hands, and re doing the same again and again , is a feature of a psychiatric condition called OCD/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder .

This is an anxiety disorder where people have repeated thoughts, ideas , feelings , sensations ( obsessions like dirt clinging on to hands even after thorough washing , thoughts that the room door was not locked and a need to re check again and again,switching off lights in a room and going back to check if it was off, etc) , that make them feel driven to something known as compulsions .

This is common condition , and most of them develop it by 30 years of age .They can get severe to such an extent that they will start causing major distress and interfere in daily life.

The treatment for this is based on behaviour therapy (cognitive behavioural therapy/CBT) along with medicines like the antidepressants. Psychotherapy will help in relieving anxiety and distress which is considered a contributing factor for OCD .

A psychiatrist is the right doctor who will help you the best .

With time and effective treatment,OCDs can be controlled and improvement is expected .

I hope I have answered your question , I will be available for follow up queries as well.