How to terminate pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
i had sex with my husband on 8th FEb AND 20TH FEb. I WAS DUE ON 23RD, BUT NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. THE PREGNENCY TEST KIT TESTED POSITIVE. THIS IS AN UNPLANNED ONE AND WE DONT NEED IT. HOW DO WE PROCEED
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: PROCESS EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Do not attempt to try and abort the pregnancy by yourself. Luckily, early pregnancy can be terminated by medications, however they should be taken under medical guidance. First and foremost, consult a gynecologist. Get the pregnancy confirmed by the doctor, and not just by the home test. Next, get it accurately dated. The pills for abortion work within a narrow timeframe, so accurate dating is a must. Also, rarely there could be ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) so it is a must to let a doctor confirm the pregnancy. Next, take the medications as prescribed by the doctor in proper dosage and schedule. Generally, one tablet of Mifepristone, followed by 4 tablets of Misoprostol are given. You will experience pain, bleeding with clots and cramps for a few days, spotting might continue for two weeks. Please remember that in 4 % of cases, these tablets might fail and surgical evacuation ( D and C ) would be required. Also, complications such as heavy bleeding, infection, retained tissues may happen at any time, so it is best to stay in touch with your doctor. However, on the positive side, these tablets are successful in most cases, so dont be scared of going ahead and taking them. A follow up ultrasound scan should be done without fail after 2 weeks to confirm that the abortion was complete, and all the tissues were evacuated. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: How to terminate pregnancy? 2 hours later
thank you doctor, could u pls suggest a good gynecologist in bangalore.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi Since I am not based in Bangalore, it would be unfair to suggest anybody, as I personally do not know anybody there. Am attaching a link that contains details of reputed OB - GYN in Bangalore, you can select one as per your location and after seeking opinion of your colleagues. https://www.practo.com/bangalore/gynecologist-obstetrician?filters%5Bmax_fee%5D=1500 Take care.