How to taper use of hydrocodome following knee replacement?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
how do I ease off of hydrocodome apap 7.5/650 after taking it for several weeks following knee replacement?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Hydrocodone for Knee joint pain due to Arthritis and now has undergone replacement surgery and want to stop taking Hydrocodone.

Hydrocodone belongs to narcotic analgesic group of drug like opiates and has side effect of habit forming and addiction .So it is in your interest to stop it for forever.

Since there is risk of withdrawal symptoms you have to stop is gradually reducing the doses over a period of one month.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: How to taper use of hydrocodome following knee replacement? 13 hours later
Thank you, I am taking one pill each morning due to still having quite a bit of knee pain. When my pain eases should I gradually reduce it to every other day and then ease into every third and so on? I am not sleeping well but have stopped taking it at night. Can I take aspirin to ease my pain late in the day?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
You can tapper the dose as you have planned for .Take Paracetamol while tapering the dose to cover up the pain killing medications .
Aspirin is not safe and potent pain killer like Paracetamol.
You can take some sleeping pills after getting prescription from your family physician.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: How to taper use of hydrocodome following knee replacement? 9 hours later
THANK YOU , AGAIN

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
Good Bye
Dr.Patil.