How to take contraceptive to avoid pregnancy?

Question
I am 49 years old, had no period for 14 months but have just started taking Noriday as in a new relationship so need contraception. if I take 28 tablets will it be safe then to have sex?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: You could have attained menopause. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Considering your age and no periods for almost 14 months proves that you could have attained MENOPAUSE, its unlikely to get pregnant during menopause. As such there is no need to take any contraception once the menopause is confirmed. What I advise you is get a scan pelvis to know the endometrial thickness( confirming if it is in menopausal range) and blood investigation like FSH(follicular stimulating hormone) if FSH is high it means your ovaries are not functioning and also confirms menopause. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: How to take contraceptive to avoid pregnancy? 12 minutes later
GP would not do scan and FSH so prescribed Noriday hence my question do i have to take 28 days of pill before having sex is safe?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is safe to take this medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Noriday contains Progestrone only pill. You can safely take this medication if you are not hypertensive or diabetic or no history of any deep vein thrombosis. I presume you are not having any medical history. But remember you need to take the mdication without any break or missing any pill. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: How to take contraceptive to avoid pregnancy? 27 hours later
so I have now taken a week of Noriday is this long enough to protect me against pregnancy or should I take 28 days of pills before not using a condom?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Please take all 28 tablets for effective contracep Detailed Answer: Hello, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, you need to take all 28 days pill. As progesterone only pills are effective if taken regularly without missing a single tablet. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!