How to strengthen the pelvic floor for vulvodynia?

Dec 2012

Thank you. My query is about how to strengthen the pelvic floor (for vagiodynia)?sorry, valvodynia

Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No one treatment can effectively treat valvodynia

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Vulvodynia treatments focus on relieving symptoms. No one treatment works for every woman, and you may find that a combination of treatments works best for you. It may take weeks or even months for treatment to improve your symptoms noticeably. Options may include:
- Medications: such as antidepressants could help ease chronic pain.
- Biofeedback therapy: it is the ability to use your mind to control pain or other functions of the body. You will require a tutor or a physical therapist to help you with that.
- Local anesthetics: lidocaine ointment may help give temporary relief
- Nerve blocks: local direct injections of nerve blocks maybe helpful

- Pelvic floor therapy: This has to do with exercises to strengthen pelvic floor muscles. They are varied techniques and you will require the help of a physical therapist to go through this. Exercises to strengthen pelvic floor are numerous and you can do some at home from waking up, walking, sitting, lying down etc. But as I said, in order to get the best result to do see a physical therapist for assistance.

- surgery is the last alternative in cases where pain can be pin pointed.
How ever, at home, the following can help you manage the symptoms of vulvodynia:
- Try cold compresses.
- Soak in a sitz bath.
- Avoid tightfitting pantyhose and nylon underwear.
- Avoid hot tubs and soaking in hot baths.
- Avoid activities that put pressure on your vulva, such as biking or horseback riding.
- Wash gently.
- Use lubricants before engaging in sexual intercourse.
- Try an antihistamine at bedtime.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: How to strengthen the pelvic floor for vulvodynia? 40 hours later
what kind of "sitz bath" are you talking about?
2. I have severe low back pain, can't stand up for more than 5 minutes...would this be affecting the vulvodynia? (because I sit most of the time)
Also, the last time we had sexual intercourse, it felt like my entrance to the vagina was being sawed with sharp saw. It looked like a tear in the skin. Now that is "healed up" but still irritated. Best way to handle that besides no 'sex'?
Brief Answer:
allow sometime for complete healing

Detailed Answer:
Hello, y

thanks for the follow-up,

you need to give yourself sometime for complete healing i.e when you are no longer feeling any abnormality as in pain or irritation. Sitz bath is simply a therapy that involves sitting in warm or coldwater for a few minutes. I believe i have already given sufficient info as regard to hoe to take care of the vulvogynia and abstaining feom sex for a while is one of them. Just please take some time and go through my previous instructions on how to handle your condition. I know it is a very disturbing situation but you need to be patient amd take care of yourself amd if you have any further question please feel free to write back.

Dr. Nsah