How to stop problem of drooling from mouth?

I have been drooling a lot throughout the day from righ side of mouth. Had that 8 yrs ago when I had Bells Palsy. It seems to have returned several months ago. What can be done to stop this embarassing situation? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Drooling can be managed by conservatively/medical Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern. Here are couple of drooling tips that I suggest my patients: 1. Blowing the bubbles in water, blowing the balloons or blow feathers, cotton wool balls or tissue paper as far as possible-This will help strength the muscles (around mouth) and reduce drooling. 2. Make your own bib/face wipe by sewing elastic onto a face cloth or – if you want it bigger – use a hand towel/instant neckerchief. Apart from this there are exercises to attempt to normalize muscle tone, stabilize body and head position, promote jaw stability and lip closure, decrease tongue thrust, increase oral sensation, and promote swallowing. The speech pathologist, physical therapist, and occupational therapist can help you. Medications like botulinum toxin have also know to reduce drooling if behavioral therapy does not provide adequate benefit. You can try these options off course after ruling out recurrence. Recurrent bells palsy will require a fresh course of steroids. Hope this helps. Keep us posted for further queries.